BREAKING NEWS: Public Works Minister Resigns from Cabinet Position
Public Works Minister, Ian Pinard has tendered his resignation to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit on Wednesday 2 March 2016, in light of recent allegations of inappropriate behaviour made against him.
Pinard is also the Member of Parliament for the Soufriere Constituency.
“In recent days, allegations of serious inappropriate behavior have been made against me in the media and elsewhere in relation to matters, which the public rightly is and has been most concerned about. I believe I have a moral and fiduciary responsibility to you to address you on this matter.
“In light of these allegations, I consider that my continued presence in the Cabinet can adversely impact the very important work this Government is doing and must continue to do for the people of Dominica,” Minister Pinard said in the statement issued late Wednesday.
He added, ” In order to allow me to more appropriately address the allegations against me and also in order to focus on other very important personal matters, I have earlier today tendered to the Honorable Prime Minister my resignation as a minister of Government with immediate effect.”
Earlier this Week, reports of alleged unlawful and inappropriate conduct by three prominent Dominican men on a 15 year old girl surfaced; naming Pinard as one of the offenders.
Minister Pinard informed however that he will, “continue to serve the residents of the Soufriere Constituency,” pending what I is confident “will be a successful conclusion of this matter”.
He also extended thanks to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit and his Constituency.
“I would like to take the opportunity, to extend my profound thanks to the Hon. Prime Minister and leader of my party for giving me the opportunity to serve our blessed country at the highest level. I also wish to thank the constituents of the Soufriere Constituency for the support and confidence they have reposed in me. I assure you of my continued readiness to serve you.”
Meantime, giving remarks at a Welcome Home Ceremony on Tuesday 1, March after receiving an honorary doctorate in India, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, promised an investigation into the matter which has implications for 3 prominent members of society.
The Prime Minister said he would meet with the relevant authorities in due time.
“I am aware of widespread concerns among the population concerning alleged inappropriate behaviour on the part of three adults in positions of trust and influence in our society. I wish to state at this point and rom this stage tonight, I have only just returned to Dominica and I am looking forward to a full briefing from the Acting Prime Minister and all relevant office holders with whom I would normally confer after a long period of absence from the country. When I am brought up to speed with all what would have transpired during my absence and also that which is in the social, political and economic melting pot at this time I will act decisively on all matters requiring my attention and intervention.”
Earlier Wednesday 2, The Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force confirmed investigation into the matter. Public Relations Officer and Acting Inspector of the DPF, Pelham Jno Baptiste, said that an investigation into the allegations has been launched in an effort “to quell public anxiety” and “protect the interest of innocent citizens”.
It is hoped that by the weekend, the Dominica Police Force will be in a position to shed further light on those investigations and also to advise on any consequent cause of action.
The Police Department is urging members of the Dominican public, resident here and abroad, particularly the media, to cooperate with law enforcement officers by allowing these investigations to run their full course.