Antigua Reports No record of entry for deceased fugitive Kurt “Shabba” James
Antigua and Barbuda Immigration Chief, Annette Mark said her department has not found any record of entry for Dominican fugitive Kurt Shabba James who was killed in Antigua, on Sunday 3rd January, 2016, during an alleged shootout with police.
According to the Antigua Observer, Mark said the man might have entered the country illegally, since they have looked into the matter and have not found anything so far.
Mark told Observer Media that the Immigration Department checked its electronic archives which have records from 2013 coming forward. She added that immigration officers are in the process of checking hard copy records from years prior to 2013, even though his whereabouts were accounted for in Dominica up to July 2015.
It is believed that James, who has several convictions in Dominica for rape, burglary, threatening to kill someone, wounding and other offences, fled from Dominica to Barbados last year and later ended up in Antigua & Barbuda.
In July 2015, a High Court judge in Dominica issued a bench warrant for his arrest after he failed to appear in court on charges of alleged sexual misconduct.
James was on bail at the time.
Antigua police said they went to James’s Carlisle apartment around mid-morning Sunday to execute a search warrant.
They alleged that James opened fire on them and he was shot after they returned fire.
He was pronounced dead on arrival at Mount St John’s Medical Centre.
Lawmen said they recovered two guns and ammunition from the scene at the apartment and further, they suspect James had been committing crimes while he was in Antigua.